We purchased the entire Living Scriptures DVD series recently. These are animated stories either taken directly from the Bible and other standard works, or set in the context of the Bible / scriptures, all with the intent of teaching young children the basics of scripture stories. One of Ginger's favorites is about the Brother of Jared and the Tower of Babel. The film makes it clear that the wicked peoples' language was confounded because of their unrighteous efforts to "build a tower to get to heaven."
A few days ago, I walked from the kitchen into our living room. I saw that the three children had taken all the pillows from the couch and piled them on top of the love seat. Joel and Grace were partially buried within the pillows and Ella was close by. I asked the children what they were doing, and Grace happily replied: "we're building a mountain to get to heaven!"
Joel has decided that he really likes playing in our small walk-in closet. He will take all his blankets into the very back of the closet and--along with his various lovies--go on "adventures." He often times tells us that he's looking for and finding elfants (the way he pronounces "elephant"). Ginger has been working with the kids on writing skills using several old white boards that I got from work. We think Joel may be left-handed, while the girls appear to favor their right hands. I recently received this text message picture:
All by himself, Joel had written his name on the whiteboard! We are very proud of our Boy.
At their grandparents house a few days ago, the children were playing underneath the stairs. Because the stairs "split", the lower section forms a smaller triangle between the wall and the floor. In that area, my parents have their small fire safe...it probably weighs about 30 - 40 lbs. Grace was down there and for some reason got herself "stuck" (at least, she was convinced she couldn't get out.) Sweet Ella matter-of-factly went over to the triangle area and said "I'll help you, Grace" and then proceeded to just slide the safe over to make space for Buggy to get out. Ella is very direct, strong, and determined. Where Joel and Grace will often say "it's too heavy" or "I can't", Ella will just DO.
The children have a babysitter today because Ginger and I both have to work. The following are two brief reports of play behavior:
So Grace was singing "no more monkeys jumping on the bed!" and then Ella reminded Grace: "no, it's supposed to be 'no more monkeys jumping on the TABLE, remember?'...jumping on the bed is FUN!"
We watched your Joseph Smith Living Scriptures video earlier today and I just heard Ella say "the doctor is going to cut off my leg" then Grace said: "CHOP!...thank you for holding still!" It's so funny to listen to them play.
Friday, August 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment