Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Baby A is the STAR of the Day!!!

Okay- it's time for a little update! Jade flew to ND today for work- so no new photos!
I also want to mention a wonderful name suggestion for our sweet little Baby A... Atlas! It's perfect on a couple of levels!!!

So, starting last Tuesday- we have a Biophysical Profile each week (you guessed it- on Tuesdays!) A biophysical profile (BPP) is a real time ultrasound that measures and looks for several things. Each baby is awarded a score 0 to 8. They watch for breathing, arm, hand, foot, movements, body movements- the fluid around the baby is measured, heart rate. I might be missing something, but that is the main point. They get either a 1 or a 2 for each catagory- depending on how well they do.

Last week (25wk.2 days) each baby scored a 6 out of 8! Which is excellent for their gestational age. They did everything they were suppose to except breath. No one expects them to breath or I should really be say "practice breathing" at this point. I guess they really don't start to do this regularly until 32 weeks or so.

Today we had another BPP (26.2 weeks)They all did great again- as expected. They each scored 6 out of 8. Fluid levels look great. All is well.

And now... this is why my sweet little Atlas gets a Star for the day- SHE TOOK A COUPLE OF BREATHS!!!!!!!!!!!! She was not awarded any points for her efforts because she did not practice breathing for 30 seconds or longer- BUT SHE DID IT!!!!

I just can't tell you HOW PROUD OF HER we are!!! The best news is- that if she is starting to practice breathing the other two are too or are not far behind. We feel this is a safe assumption because their developments have been so evenly matched!


Just a little side note: Atlas is not her real name, but a great nickname for now!

Also, I have gotten some packages, flowers, and dinners in past weeks.- THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! It is SUCH A BLESSING NOT TO EAT HOSPITAL FOOD! The little treats always brighten my days and help keep me going! This is a strange chore- being on bedrest for so long. Away from my little kitties :( But this is the BEST WAY for me to help and protect my little babies and everyday that I'm here- is one less day they will be in the NICU! So, Spirits are high!!! :)


FYI: I've been on bed rest since February. But as of today- I've been in the hospital on bedrest for 41 days!!!

3 comments:

D Oesterle said...

Way to go baby Atlas! What amazing babies you have=) I plan on visiting MN in June hope to see you and Jade...and possibly the babies!
-Stormi

Jade said...

I'm so proud of you. How would I go about finding the address to the hospital so I can send you a little something-something?

Kristi S said...

It's nice to hear that you're hanging in there. I've been periodically checking, enjoy every minute of this time because you'll be busy after they're born. Have WONDERFUL first Mothers Day.