Saturday, May 30, 2009

A sweet, wonderful moment...

Jade and I were at the NICU late last night. We got to hold our little babies! Jade was able to hold Ella in the OR just minutes after she was born (for a few minutes), but other than that... we were just waiting. Our wonderful NICU nurses helped us snuggle up with them last night. It's funny at how they feel so much smaller in our hands than they look in their beds. I need to find something to take a photo of them- maybe a pop can or something- so everyone can get a good understanding of their actual size. Jade was able to hold his son for a while. That wonderful little boy that Daddy has been playing favorites with for months now! He was a proud Papa last night! I held each of my darling daughters! We got a good look at both of their faces... they look so much a like!

Ella is now off her nasal cannula and breathing completely on her own. Joel is still on CPAP, but doing much better (just has room air) and Little Gracie is bouncing back and forth from 1 to 2 liters of room air with her nasal cannula. Gracie does have a small heart murmur (an open PDA) that is normal for a premie baby- and it's possible that Joel and Ella will develop one as well. They will take a good look at little Gracie's heart today with an echocardiogram and decide what they want to do about it- if anything. We will keep everyone posted!

Thank you again for all of your prayers- we KNOW that we have been greatly blessed and watched over by a very LOVING FATHER IN HEAVEN! We are just at a loss as to how we can express gratitude for our wonderful Dr. K, nurses, and the NICU staff. We are in constant amazement at the many blessings we have and the many ways we have been protected. The power of prayer is great!

4 comments:

Jennifer H. said...

I keep checking back for updates on your new little blessings! They're BEAUTIFUL!!!! I'm so glad you got to hold them all. What a gift. You let me know when I can come over and do a load of laundry!

trista e said...

that is so exciting how you got to hold your babies last night. wow ella is breathing on her own. that is amazing! holding up her bother and sister all these months must have made her a strong little girl. glad to hear they are all doing so well. hope you have a speedy recovery ginger!

Marla said...

That is so wonderful! I am still so amazed at how well they are breathing. I am just so happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

The babies are adorable!! Congrats on getting to hold them. We are very excited for you guys and will continue to keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself and try to rest some! We love you guys! Thanks for all the wonderful updates!

Lela, Sandra, Austin and Ryane