Saturday, May 30, 2009

Babies - Day #3

In order to give some perspective regarding the babies' size, we will be integrating a universally known reference symbol into their pictures to gauge progress: a 20 oz bottle of Coca Cola Classic (can't beat the real thing :o)

Shown here is Grace (note the robo-baby arm). She had to go back on CPAP today because she was slowly losing some breathing capabilities. She's still doing well, and we are hopeful for a quick (re)transition to nasal canula and room air.

This is little Joel next to the universal measuring standard... you will note that he's reaching for the Coke (takes after his daddy and grandma, it seems!)

This picture shows Jade giving Joel a "cuddle" using both his hands. The babies really like it when you fold their arms and legs up against their bodies and hold them.

This is another picture of Joel with his elephant nose (the CPAP hose). His face has gradually changed appearance even in just 3 days of life. The doctors suspect he may come off CPAP within a day or so, and he'll probably get to start having some breast milk soon (administered via tube).

And now we come to Ella. She is apparently rather vain, as she insisted upon sunbathing! Actually, the strange black light in these photos comes from a device which provides "photo-therapy". This therapy breaks down the chemical in babies' blood which would otherwise cause jaundice. She will be tanning for about 3 days and then should be finished with the treatment.

Here is Ella next to the Coke bottle. In real life, she is noticably smaller than her sister and brother, but still adorable.

4 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

I love your humor about everything, very funny! I hope they all get to come home soon. What sweet little babies. I can't even imagine caring for 3 newborns. I think this grants you guys a golden ticket into heaven:)

Marla said...

Ella looks like she rather enjoys sunbathing =) I will teach her all about diamonds and tiffanys soon! Unless, you have already done that, Ginger!

It's amazing at how strong these little babies are. Thank you for updating as much as you have been!

Allison Isom said...

I ache to see all of you! I am so excited! I can't believe they are finally here. When we went to the temple we put all their little names in. I am working on trying to come to see you I just can't believe they are finally here.

Lance and Alyssa said...

It has been exciting to learn more about your children. They are so precious, and so very tiny! I like the comparison to the coke bottle, very creative. It looks like they are hanging in there; glad to hear things are going well.