Monday, June 8, 2009

---------- NICU SAFETY RULES ----------

In order to protect the health and safety of the small babies receiving care in the NICU, St. Cloud Hospital has established the following strict rules for visitors:

1) Visitors must be authorized to visit children in the NICU (the parents must be present for friends' visits, while family members can be "pre-approved" using a list).

2) CLEAN HANDS ARE A MUST! The NICU REQUIRES a THREE minute hand scrub BEFORE visitors can enter.

3) Those who are sick, or who have been exposed to someone who is ill, are not to visit the NICU or have contact with premature infants until they have been well for at least seven (7) days. These measures are especially important during RSV season (late October to late April). RSV hospitalizes and kills premature babies and is EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS!

4) NO SMOKING OR STRONG PERFUMES -- even the smell of smoke or perfumes on clothing can quickly have a dangerous effect on the tiny lungs of premature babies. Smokers must shower and be wearing "smoke-free" clothing to be around these babies.

************

Our physician has advised us to continue to follow these rules even after our babies move home from the hospital. During their first year of life, they will be especially susceptible to illness and infection (especially respiratory difficulties)...the best way to protect them is to be proactive :o)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING US KEEP OUR SWEET BABIES SAFE AND WELL!!!

2 comments:

Mama M. said...

Too cute! Hoping to vote for myself soon...if I stop getting mandated, that is! I'm working Wed. and Thurs, so will definately try to stop in and see these gorgeous babies!
FBC Nurse Missy A. :)

Marla said...

I know those rules all too well! I wish I was there to see all the little babies! (and you and jade!)