She was in a great deal of pain, and spoke and acted frantically. One of her favorite nurses Becky was there also. By the time I had arrived, the on-call doctor had examined her and a test had concluded that she was indeed in labor. Because of the risk of infection associated with the water breaking, and because the babies had had 30 ½ weeks to grow, they decided to not stop the labor. Dr. Kroska arrived shortly after I did, and Ginger immediately became more relieved. As 7:30 AM (the scheduled time for the caesarean section) approached, Becky and several other nurses wheeled Ginger’s bed to the OR. I was to stay behind for a few minutes while they prepped her.
A very nice young lady named Jackie brought me some scrubs and a mask which I was to wear during the operation. I changed into them and found that I needed a larger size (because my shoulders were too broad). I was then led into the OR. It was very crowded. Ginger was on the table with the sterile field set up. The anesthesiologist was there. I thought to myself that he looked quite young, competent, and very relaxed. There were three separate stations set up in the operating room (which was very small and did not have an observation area (all the ORs on television shows have observation areas!)). Dr. Kroska and the assisting physician were there also. Jackie offered to take the camera from me to snap photos during the delivery, so that I could be attentive to Ginger and enjoy the experience.
I did not watch as they made the incisions and spread the muscles. Instead, I observed the surroundings and made conversation with Ginger. It was a very surreal experience…I couldn’t believe that “it” was actually finally happening. I was going to be a father! Of three children. I think Becky was the person who told me that the operation had reached the point at which the babies would come…I stood up and looked over the sterile field.Dr. Kroska reached his hand inside of Ginger’s abdomen rather deep (I thought). I heard a sucking sound (resulting from the vacuum created by his hand and the fluids as he pulled out Baby A). Little Ella came out crying. Ginger said: “her name is Ella!” I remember noticing that she looked slightly blue and had a lot of hair. Someone called out “Baby A, born 8:10 AM…2 lbs 14 oz.” I was actually a bit disappointed that the first baby weighed less than three pounds. They brought her to her station and began working on her.
At 8:11 AM, Dr. Kroska helped Joel come into this world. He was notably larger than Ella (the nurses called out “Baby B, born 8:11 AM…3 lbs 5 oz.”) I was glad that he was bigger. I thought to myself that he definitely looked like a boy; his face was rather angular and he seemed paler than Ella did. Ginger informed the room that Baby B’s name was Joel. Joel was also able to give a respectable cry.
Shortly thereafter, Dr. Kroska broke the water surrounding Baby C (I noted the rush of clear fluid mixed with the blood). Only one minute later, at 8:12 AM, our final baby was born. She made a very weak cry and then stopped. The nurses announced her weight as “3 lbs. 1 oz.” They brought her to the corner at the right of the room (from my perspective) and began to work on her. It was when Grace was born that it finally "hit me". I was happy. I looked at Ginger and squeezed her hand and told her "I'm so happy, Honey."
Another brought Ella over to me and I was able to cut her cord…after then did a bit more work on her, I was allowed to hold her very briefly before they brought her to the NICU. I also got to cut Joel’s cord…I don’t remember if I was allowed to hold him. At some point during the goings on, as Dr. Kroska was closing the incision, he asked the room how Baby C was doing. I don’t remember the response. Becky told me that she was having a bit of difficulty breathing and that they were suctioning her. I did not get to hold or even see Grace until I arrived at the NICU later.I was given (and took the option) of going to the NICU to see the babies while Ginger recovered from her surgery. I walked in (after the three minute scrub) and they were all there, in their individual isolettes, in a row. They all looked so tiny. None of them were awake. I felt kind of like a kid who had just gotten three really cool toys at Christmas and didn’t even know where or how to start playing with each of them. I was informed by the NICU staff that all were stable, and that Grace had been intubated. Each of the babies was laboring to breath (their chests would suck in each time they exhaled), but they were hanging in there. I was grateful as I noted that each of them looked normal, and that there were not doctors and nurses huddled around the isolettes (which would have to me been an indicator of a critical situation).
I returned to the recovery room and told Ginger that the babies looked well. I related briefly to her their weights and a few observations from the delivery, and then went to meet my brother Jess, who had driven up from the cities to be present...


1 comment:
Very nice entry. It sounds like it was a very special, memorable day!
Post a Comment