Joel got another haircut yesterday. It always makes me sad because he looks more and more like a little boy than like a baby. He did a very good job during the haircut because Ginger let him hold the cord of the electric razor. The previous day, I had been unable to locate his Ellie, and he was becoming more and more urgent in imploring me to find it...we had to resort to the "backup." I subsequently forgot about the issuance of the double. Ginger called me and said "something very interesting just happened..." Upon inquiring about what item of interest had occurred, Ginger told me that Joel had TWO Ellies (we have always tried to be very diligent in avoiding just this sort of situation, being unsure of how the kids would react...especially with Ella, since each copy of her Lovey Bear is at best only an approximation of the other, and she already gets suspicious sometimes when we switch them). I therefore asked Ginger how he reacted, and she responded that he was SO happy, walking around the room with both Ellies clutched tightly under his arms :o)
Ella is so sweet. I love coming into the room in the morning because she will stand there in her crib with Lovey Bear and her quilt (made by Aunt Colleen) and just say "Hi." There is so much encapsulated in that single syllable. I can tell that she's happy to see me, that she loves me, and also that she is hoping to receive some acknowledgement and reciprocation. Ginger and I have a policy of always responding to our children when they talk to us (even if this constitutes an interruption to an ongoing third-party conversation). We believe that this actually serves to DECREASE interruptions since the children know that we are approachable and accessible. Eventually, we do intend to provide them with training and guidance about interruptions. In the case of dear Ella, her simple "Hi" tends to make my morning!
In church on Sunday, Grace managed to put a sizable hole in her tongue (not all the way through, but still fairly deep). She enjoys prancing around the room on her tip-toes, and sometimes can quickly lose her balance and face-plant. Just such an occurence during nursery precipitated this most recent wound. Poor Buggy. Her language skills continue to expand, and she will say and repeat quite a number of English and German words. She is also able to count to 10 (although sometimes she gets bogged down around 6 - 7 - 8 :o)
I love these children and am grateful to Heavenly Father for sending them into our family. I am also grateful for my wonderful wife: Ginger is such a good mother!
Thursday, April 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment